UberPOOL has been an incredible ache level for drivers because the product’s launch a pair years in the past. Picking up and dropping off passengers is the hardest half about this gig, and UberPOOL solely made that worse. Uber additionally pays drivers much less per mile and per minute on UberPOOL in comparison with UberX, so it typically feels such as you’re doing extra work for much less cash.
At occasions, it even looks like passengers don’t like UberPOOL, since they appear to moan and complain every time they get matched with one other rider and I need to yell “Dude, you called for an UberPOOL!”
For probably the most half although, I’ve stopped giving UberPOOL rides until I’m on a Quest Bonus or utilizing the vacation spot filter, and I do know plenty of skilled drivers really feel the identical method. We truly surveyed drivers right here in Los Angeles, a serious UberPOOL market, and 75% of them have been dissatisfied with their UberPOOl expertise, so it’s no shock that there are some main enhancements that may be made.
Today, Uber introduced Chapter four of their 180 Days of Change initiative and it’s targeted on enhancing the UberPOOL expertise for drivers and riders and the modifications will go reside instantly in Uber’s 13 UberPOOL markets.
I feel the modifications are undoubtedly a step in the correct path since they tackle greater earnings for POOL rides, however solely time will inform if the opposite additions truly make drivers need to take UberPOOL rides.
Increased Earnings for Drop-Offs and Pick-Ups on UberPOOL
Drivers will now earn an additional flat fare each time a further pickup cease is added to their journey. The further pickup fare ranges from $zero.50 to $1 relying on the town (e.g. LA is $zero.95), however it doesn’t apply to the primary decide up. The additional fare solely applies to further pickups.
Uber has been testing this function in Los Angeles for the previous few months and it’s undoubtedly made UberPOOL extra tolerable. I additionally just like the spirit of this alteration because it exhibits that Uber is recognizing additional pick-ups imply additional work for drivers, however I’m unsure the additional cash will probably be value it. Plenty of drivers put up with UberPOOL right now as a result of every journey counts towards Quest Bonuses, so clearly extra money makes POOL extra tolerable, however $zero.95 on further pickups shouldn’t be a ton of cash.
Uber nonetheless pays drivers a decrease fee card for UberPOOL than it does for UberX although, which has by no means made sense to me. Uber pays round four cents much less per mile and three cents much less per minute in LA for instance.
And what about journeys that don’t match? If you settle for an UberPOOl experience and don’t get a match, you make lower than should you would have finished the similar experience on UberX. Lyft Line pay was the identical construction, however they lately increased their Lyft Line pay to match that of Lyft Classic, and the modifications have been nicely acquired by drivers whom I’ve talked to.
I feel this variation by Uber is certainly a step in the correct course, however it’ll require some testing earlier than we all know for positive simply how useful it’s to drivers. My fear although is that a buck shouldn’t be going to be value it to do UberPOOL rides, particularly because the per mile and per minute charges are decrease than UberX.
Other Changes to UberPOOL
Uber additionally launched a slew of smaller modifications that I don’t assume may have a huge effect however ought to enhance the general driver and rider expertise:
- Rider Education: Uber goes to start out notifying first time UberPOOL riders what they’re in retailer for once they request their first UberPOOL journey. After their first UberPOOL journey, riders may even get an e-mail with extra info on how UberPOOL works. This is particularly essential in cities the place UberPOOL first launches, however gained’t have a lot of an influence within the present 13 UberPOOL cities for my part.
- Better Ratings Experience: When you fee a rider lower than 5 stars, Uber goes to start out sending riders ‘constructive tips’. I assume this can be a good factor, though I’d quite see this function come to the driving force’s aspect first! I received a 1 star score the opposite night time and do not know why – even after four years of driving, it’s nonetheless irritating to get a 1 star score when all your rides appeared like they went with no hitch. I’ve a sense although it was one in every of my UberPOOl riders who I virtually left behind 🙂
- Pool Ratings Protection: This function was launched in Chapter 2 however now for UberPOOL rides particularly, if a rider charges you for one thing out of your management (like too many pick-ups or co-rider conduct) it gained’t rely towards your general score. I’m unsure how properly that is truly working in apply although as highlighted above.
- Straighter Routes: Uber has improved their routing and says that drivers will now have 20% much less activates UberPOOL rides. Personally, I use Google Maps so I’m unsure that I’ll get any of the advantages of this one. If Uber does begin to vastly enhance their mapping although, I’d be pleased to modify.
- Suggested Corner Pickups and Dropoffs: If a pickup or dropoff requires you to loop across the block, your rider will now obtain a prompt nook location that’s alongside your route. If they settle for, your route will replace mechanically they usually’ll stroll to the nook to save lots of everybody time. This is a function that sounds nice in principle, however I feel there’s a number of work that also must be achieved. I stay on a medium busy two approach road in LA and even once I transfer the pin to the advised pickup location, drivers solely come to that aspect of the road half the time.
- Safer Stops: The Uber app goes to start out detecting restricted zones for each UberPOOL and UberX within the coming weeks, making it safer to pickup and dropoff. This seems like a useful function, however passengers are nonetheless going to need to be dropped off and picked up in unlawful zones so it’s essential that you simply are the captain of your ship and clarify what you’re doing (or not doing).
I wasn’t tremendous impressed with any of those ‘smaller features’ however I do assume there’s a number of potential for Uber to enhance their mapping and routing on UberPOOL rides. If you assume again to when UberPOOL and even vacation spot filter first launched, there have been a ton of bizarre routing points and issues, however over time Uber improved their algorithms and the latter a minimum of turned far more dependable.
I feel the identical alternative exists with UberPOOL and though it can take a while, I might be completely happy to do UberPOOL if I acquired paid extra and it was solely a slight inconvenience. Uber has set the bar fairly excessive with the 180 Days of Change, however this chapter was a bit underwhelming for me. I’d wish to see UberPOOL charges match UberX AND a further charge for the second pickup and dropoff.
Readers, what do you consider this newest spherical of modifications to Uber? How do you assume Uber’s 180 Days of Change marketing campaign goes up to now? Have you observed constructive modifications?
Rydar: The Ultimate Assistant For Rideshare Drivers
Rydar is like radar for discovering the most effective rides. Optimize your routes, improve earnings and successfully handle your funds. Check it out here!
-Harry @ RSG
I am Harry, the proprietor and founding father of The Rideshare Guy Blog and Podcast. I was a full-time engineer however now I am a rideshare blogger! I write about my expertise driving for Uber, Lyft, and different providers and my aim is to assist drivers earn extra money by working smarter, not more durable.